Total Pageviews

Pages

Monday, July 11, 2011

Stay Classy, San Diego

San Diego was our favorite city. The weather was beautiful. There were a million things to do and we had a good time there. Point Loma was our favorite excursion. We rented a car and drive out there to get the most beautiful view of San Diego, the bay, Navy ships, and the ocean. Just beautiful .



We also did the Old Town trolley tour from downtown.



That took us over to Coronado, which is an absolute must. Walking around the famous Hotel Del Coronado was such fun, as you can see the movie "Some Like It Hot" reminiscent in every corner of this historic, family friendly, beach hotel. The movie was filmed there and being there makes you feel like you are on a magical MGM movie set.







Had lunch at a place called Burger Lounge that was super yummy. Friends had raved that this would be the best burger we ever ate. High expectations were hard to exceed, but that being said, I'd go back. In the afternoon that day, the trolley brought us to the zoo. The highlight of that trip was the Panda exhibit. It's a narrated exhibit, where the Pandas seem fairly close. Sophie loved seeing the baby Panda so much that she cried, when our turn in the line was over and we headed away from the baby Panda.



The Children's Museum in San Diego was the best one we'd been to.



There were plenty of areas for toddlers and then designated areas for older kids. I found out that some parents don't always pay attention to that direction. Sophie was playing in the "For children under the age of 2" area and there was a young buy about 5 or 6 who had walked over to explore. I quickly spotted his parents having lunch in the adjacent area and took note that his play was getting wilder by the second. Sophie and another 1-yr-old were playing with cardboard blocks and mini grocery carts when Wild Child picks up a cardboard box, says to the boy passing by, "Watch this," and kicks said box directly at Soph's face. Thanks to my ninja skills, I stopped the box with my hand, to the little twerps surprise. As I pointed my figure at Wild Child and firmly said 'you have to be careful when babies are around. You cannot kick blocks at them." As he walked over to a chair and sulked, his parents made their way to him, asking if everything was okay. His response was a silent sulk I was poised, ready to tell them everything was NOT okay until I realized that they really didn't care. They sat down in the beach chairs for parents and Dad got on the phone and mom opened her magazine and Wild Child geared up for more. As separate group of children gathered for a birthday party near us, Wild Child made his way to the corner and talked to himself about how he was sad that no one invited him to a birthday party. It was so sad, as I looked into his future and saw him as the classic school bully who acted out to desperately get the attention of parents who had more important things to do. The lesson I took away was to always be ready to use mommy ninja skills and all parents do not think like you would, so be prepared. All that being said, sometimes you just can't avoid your children getting hurt. You can hover all you want, but it happens. Later that night, Soph was working on picking up speed in the hotel, she face planted, bit her tongue, and blood came out of her mouth. Blood!!!!! I, admittedly was super freaked out. My hands and voice were shakey as I told her it was ok and held her tight. She was freaked out and so was I. However, she was just fine. Fast forward to Monday, when we were all set to leave with the company on a bus to LA at 10:30 am. Soph and I headed to the park across from the children's museum around 8:30. The squishy ground there and low ropes and spinning toys hooked onto the structure made it a perfect place for toddlers. There was another toddler, 16 month old, Devon, and his dad there too. Devon, just a few months ahead of Soph was a runner. You see where this is going. As I stood behind Soph, as she played with a rope hooked onto a metal pole. Devil, I mean, Devon, came out of no where and pushed Soph hard. She fell to her hands and knees and her head conked hard against the metal pole. I picked up a crying Sophie and could see the bump beginning to grow. Through Sophie's screams, I could hear the dad behind me telling his son that he couldn't push people and that he had hurt Sophie. As I grabbed the stroller and headed to the first open place for ice, I could hear the dad apologizing from the park. Once I got ice and she had calmed down a bit, I was able to see better. The bump was getting bigger and turning blue. The main thing that worried me was that she seemed dazed and was closing her eyes like she was trying to go to sleep. I asked for a cab and the company I called said they weren't sure how long it would take to get a driver to me. I said forget it and headed in a full stroller sprint to the hotel, where I knew a cab would be. I called Eric and told him to meet me in the lobby with a car seat. We left immediately for Hillcrest UCSD ER. If you need a great ER close to downtown, this is it. The doctors were so great and got us in right away. The long and short of our hospital visit was that after a few hours of evaluation, they and we decided that she was fine. We proceeded to rent the smallest car we could find, pack luggage into every nook and cranny, and head to L.A. Last stop. We made it! A few bumps and bruises, but we arrived safe and sound.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment