Total Pageviews

Pages

Monday, December 10, 2012

Random Acts of Christmas

 Random Acts of Christmas   
     On a cold day in 2006, I was working on the Upper East side of Manhattan.  On this particular day, I was feeling home sick, tired, and beaten down.  Eric and I were dating, he was on tour, and I was in a dry spell as an artist.  As I walked down the west side of 3rd Ave., a bustling stranger with arms full of bags hailed a taxi a few feet in front of me.  He opened the door of the cab, ran over to me on the sidewalk, said "Merry Christmas" and shoved a package into my arms and disappeared into his previously hailed cab.  I opened the bag and peeked in...It was a giant balsam Christmas candle!  Oh, it smelled like my parents house at Christmas!  I immediately loved it!  I wanted to thank him, but he was long gone.  I felt like I had lived that moment in "A Christmas Carol" when Scrooge realizes the error of his ways and goes up and down the streets shoving money and joy in peoples faces.  I don't know if he was Scrooge, Santa, or someone in between, but it was a magical happening for me.  I believed again in the spirit of Christmas.  I didn't even know the spirit had gone missing until I found it again, in the smallest act of a stranger.
     As my perspective of Christmas has changed with my role of being a parent, I feel a responsibility to instill a heart of generosity in my little one.  Please share ways that you let your little one be on the giving end of generosity.  Do you know of volunteer opportunities for kids and parents?  Have you done any random acts of kindness this season?  

2 comments:

  1. I have six children of my own. This year, my oldest took it upon herself to make 40 blankets for the 40 children staying at the local orphanage. All of her siblings and close friends helped out as well. Her mom taught her well, as you are doing for your child. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Bill, that is both amazing and inspiring. She is creating change and beginning the powerful ripple effect generosity can have for all those participating in the giving AND all those on the receiving end. Thank you for sharing that and showing more creative ways to give and get involved!

    ReplyDelete