Total Pageviews

Pages

Saturday, September 22, 2018

Stop and Smell the Convo! Mastering Your Best Mr. Rodgers



      If you are a parent, you have perfected the craft of the long term conversation. One of my mom friends called me last week and said, “I have the best drama...ooo gotta go.” I still don’t know what it is, but the conversation is like a good book and unfolds in about the time it takes to read a novel. Everything gets better with time though right? I personally believe that completing a conversation between two parents should be accompanied by cheerleaders and a marching band or a trumpet and a squire with a scroll announcing the completion in an old English accent. Your completion of any conversation represents a touchdown on the family field and an appreciative soft clap from your neighbors in family land. And if you haven’t competed a conversation this week, just lean into that old adage, “It’s not about the end, it’s the journey that counts.” It can be downright frustrating sometimes, but it’s absolutely the truth.
       While most of the time we are rushing through life, moments like the video of my husband and son improv-ing a song about a monster truck are treasures. These moments require a Time Out in the game of life. Even in my Pre-K classroom, I have to remind myself, as the teacher, that the most vital piece of their success in each moment is knowing that they are heard and someone cares about the things they care about. When writing a blog like this, I have to stop no fewer than 20 times to just listen or take a break and help or just to play. So....maybe I started this blog last week and I’m just wrapping it up. What’s the rush?!
       I’m committing to channel my very best Mr. Rodgers this week and give my family the presence they deserve. My husband, Eric Petersen, is great at special moments and you can take a look at this video to see it in action. To understand what daily life married to Broadway headbanger and School of Rock star, Eric Petersen, this sweet look at him and our son, Miles, tells you most of what you need to know. I love how supportive Eric is as a husband and father. The video of them making up this song is genius because you see them both LISTENING to each other. He’s always listening to our kids...really listening. He lets them know they are important. It’s a collaboration! He is so mastering this Mr. Rodgers thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment